Subject: Pittsburgh PAT PCC Streetcar #1729
Location: Pittsburgh, PA (Route 42/38 – Mt. Lebanon-Beechview)
Date: June 1982 (processing date)
Photographer: Joseph P. Saitta
Pittsburgh PCC 1729 was built by the St. Louis Car company in 1949. It was later rebuilt and renumbered to 4007.
The Port Authority of Allegheny County took over Pittsburgh Railways in 1964. The last PCC ran in Pittsburgh in 1999. Over a period of years, Pittsburgh’s extensive streetcar system morphed into the light rail of today.