The Winnetka Grade Separation Project

A North Shore Line train on the Shore Line Route is southbound in Winnetka in September 1954. This section was grade-separated in 1940, along with the adjacent Chicago & North Western tracks, following a series of pedestrian accidents. Harold L. Ickes, Secretary of the Interior under President Franklin D. Roosevelt, approved Federal aid that paid for part of this work, in a similar fashion to Chicago's Initial System of Subways. Ickes had lived in the area for many years. The train is moving towards the photographer, and the front is blurred due to the shutter speed that had to be used, in the days when Kodachrome was ISO 10.

A North Shore Line train on the Shore Line Route is southbound in Winnetka in September 1954. This section was grade-separated in 1940, along with the adjacent Chicago & North Western tracks, following a series of pedestrian accidents. Harold L. Ickes, Secretary of the Interior under President Franklin D. Roosevelt, approved Federal aid that paid for part of this work, in a similar fashion to Chicago’s Initial System of Subways. Ickes had lived in the area for many years. The train is moving towards the photographer, and the front is blurred due to the shutter speed that had to be used, in the days when Kodachrome was ISO 10.

As part of my ongoing research for my upcoming North Shore Line book, I decided to read all the other books that are out there. Today’s post features one that may be obscure, but is still very important–The Winnetka Grade Separation Project by Robert L. Anderson. As this was a dissertation, and part of the work Anderson did to receive an engineering degree, I didn’t know what to expect.

I was pleasantly surprised to discover this highly professional, thorough report on one of the outstanding public works projects in the New Deal era. The project’s cost would equate to about $86m in today’s dollars, and was one of two major projects that received 45% federal government funding from the PWA (Public Works Administration), headed by Harold L. Ickes (1874-1952).

19th century railroads ran at ground level in the Chicagoland area, but as population increased, grade crossing accidents became more and more of a public safety issue. When Chicago was chosen by Congress as the site of the World’s Columbia Exposition in 1890, the City began making local railroads elevate their tracks. This grade separation movement continued on through the 20th century.

In the area covered by the Winnetka project, which to a lesser extent also involved the suburbs of Glencoe and Kenilworth, there were two railroads running parallel to each other– the Chicago & North Western, and the Chicago North Shore & Milwaukee (aka the North Shore Line).

This was the Shore Line Route, the interurban’s original route north from Wilmette, where it connected to the Chicago Rapid Transit Company “L” going downtown. The small space between the two train lines undoubtedly created a more dangerous situation than would otherwise have been the case.

The 1921 Plan of Winnetka, spearheaded by pioneer city planner Edward H. Bennett (1874-1954), recommended relocating the two sets of railroad tracks into an open cut. These plans continued to evolve until the late 1930s.

The Village of Winnetka applied for a grant from the PWA in 1938, and it was quickly approved. It did not hurt that FDR’s Secretary of the Interior (and thus, head of the PWA) Harold L. Ickes had been a former resident of Winnetka and therefore, knew there was a need.

Robert Landau Anderson (1906-1974), the author of this book, began working for Winnetka in 1929, and was appointed the head of Public Works in 1935, a position he held until his retirement in 1966. Anderson helped draft some of the plans, and was intimately involved with the project once it received federal approval. As Public Works chief, he helped oversee and coordinate much of the work, representing the village. At times, he also served as acting Village Manager.

He wrote this book in 1941 as his dissertation towards an engineering degree from Northwestern University. At that time, the project was largely complete, but was not 100% finished until 1943. His book is in the public domain, which we present here in full, and we are also including a magazine article he wrote in 1944, based on a presentation he gave for the Western Society of Engineers.

Both railroads were expected to kick in some portion of the cost for this project, but both were technically bankrupt at the time, as this was the Great Depression. The solution to this problem was quite creative.

Cost savings were estimated out for each railroad, based on the anticipated reductions in the need to maintain crossing signals. Bonds were issued in this amount, and immediately purchased by the PWA (in addition to their 45% share of the entire project cost). These were to be repurchased by the two railroads over a period of 30 years.

The North Shore Line abandoned the Shore Line Route in 1955, and the rest of the service went in 1963. At the time of abandonment, there still would have been an outstanding balance on the interurban’s share for a portion of these bonds, but I do not know how much money the government ultimately received.

The former North Shore Line right-of-way in Winnetka is now part of the recreational Green Bay Trail. Diesel replaced steam on the Chicago & North Western in 1956, and commuter rail service continues there today on Metra’s Union Pacific North Line between downtown Chicago and Kenosha.

Our scans were made from what may be the only remaining copy of this book, which is the best account of the Winnetka Grade Separation Project that I have found to date. I am glad we can now share this important history with you.

Sadly, Robert L. Anderson died from a heart attack in 1974, while on vacation in Montana with his wife. His dissertation earned him a Civil Engineering degree from Northwestern in 1941.

Interestingly, his younger brother James Stuart Anderson (1912-1954) was also an engineer, and also worked on the grade separation project as an employee of one of the firms that did the work.

It is entirely possible that this project influenced construction of the Congress Expressway (now I-290) through Oak Park and Forest Park in the late 1950s. After all, both projects involved relocating two sets of railroad tracks from ground level into an open cut, with trains leapfrogging from one set of temporary tracks to another.

-David Sadowski

PS- You might also like our Trolley Dodger Facebook auxiliary, a private group that now has 747 members.

Our friend Kenneth Gear now has a Facebook group for the Railroad Record Club. If you enjoy listening to audio recordings of classic railroad trains, whether steam, electric, or diesel, you might consider joining.

Work on our North Shore Line book is ongoing. Donations are needed in order to bring this to a successful conclusion. You will find donation links at the top and bottom of each post. We thank you in advance for your time and consideration.

Winnetka Grade Separation Project Video

Video segment from The Winnetka Story Documentary, produced by the Winnetka Historical Society:

The Winnetka Grade Separation Project by Robert L. Anderson

Between 1938 and 1943, the Winnetka Grade Separation Project eliminated several dangerous grade crossings along nearly four miles of trackage between Kenilworth and Glencoe. Two railroads were involved-- the Chicago & North Western, and Chicago North Shore & Milwaukee (aka the North Shore Line).

Between 1938 and 1943, the Winnetka Grade Separation Project eliminated several dangerous grade crossings along nearly four miles of trackage between Kenilworth and Glencoe. Two railroads were involved– the Chicago & North Western, and Chicago North Shore & Milwaukee (aka the North Shore Line).

Robert L. Anderson in 1951.

Robert L. Anderson in 1951.

Recent Correspondence

William Shapotkin writes:

This year’s Hoosier Traction Meet will take place Aug 19-20 in Dayton, OH. If you would please be so kind as to help us promote the event, it would be greatly appreciated.

We are glad to do so. You can download the prospectus by clicking on this link.

Keep those cards and letters coming in, folks.

-David Sadowski

A Guide to the Railroad Record Club E-Book

William A. Steventon recording the sounds of the North Shore Line in April 1956. (Kenneth Gear Collection)

William A. Steventon recording the sounds of the North Shore Line in April 1956. (Kenneth Gear Collection)

Our good friend Ken Gear has been hard at work on collecting all things related to the late William Steventon’s railroad audio recordings and releases. The result is a new book on disc, A Guide To the Railroad Record Club. This was quite a project and labor of love on Ken’s part!

Kenneth Gear has written and compiled a complete history of William Steventon‘s Railroad Record Club, which issued 42 different LPs of steam, electric, and diesel railroad audio, beginning with its origins in 1953.

This “book on disc” format allows us to present not only a detailed history of the club and an updated account of Kenneth Gear’s purchase of the William Steventon estate, but it also includes audio files, photo scans and movie files. Virtually all the Railroad Record Club archive is gathered in one place!

Price: $19.99

$10 from the sale of each RRC E-Book will go to Kenneth Gear to repay him for some of his costs in saving this important history.

Now Available on Compact Disc:

RRC08D
Railroad Record Club #08 Deluxe Edition: Canadian National: Canadian Railroading in the Days of Steam, Recorded by Elwin Purington
The Complete Recording From the Original Master Tapes
Price: $15.99

Kenneth Gear‘s doggedness and determination resulted in his tracking down and purchasing the surviving RRC master tapes a few years back, and he has been hard at work having them digitized, at considerable personal expense, so that you and many others can enjoy them with today’s technology. We have already released a few RRC Rarities CDs from Ken’s collection.

When Ken heard the digitized version of RRC LP #08, Canadian National: Canadian Railroading in the Days of Steam, recorded by the late Elwin Purington, he was surprised to find the original tapes were more than twice the length of the 10″ LP. The resulting LP had been considerably edited down to the limited space available, 15 minutes per side.

The scenes were the same, but each was greatly shortened. Now, on compact disc, it is possible to present the full length recordings of this classic LP, which was one of Steventon’s best sellers and an all-around favorite, for the very first time.

Canadian National. Steaming giants pound high iron on mountain trails, rumble over trestles, hit torpedos and whistle for many road crossings. Mountain railroading with heavy power and lingering whistles! Includes locomotives 3566, 4301, 6013, 3560.

Total time – 72:57

$5 from the sale of RRC08D CD will go to Kenneth Gear to repay him for some of his costs in saving this important history.

Chicago’s Lost “L”s Online Presentation

We recently gave an online presentation about our book Chicago’s Lost “L”s for the Chicago Public Library, as part of their One Book, One Chicago series. You can watch it online by following this link.

The Trolley Dodger On the Air

We appeared on the Dave Plier Show on WGN radio on July 16, 2021, to discuss Chicago’s Lost “L”s. You can hear that discussion here.

Our Latest Book, Now Available:

Chicago’s Lost “L”s

From the back cover:

Chicago’s system of elevated railways, known locally as the “L,” has run continuously since 1892 and, like the city, has never stood still. It helped neighborhoods grow, brought their increasingly diverse populations together, and gave the famous Loop its name. But today’s system has changed radically over the years. Chicago’s Lost “L”s tells the story of former lines such as Garfield Park, Humboldt Park, Kenwood, Stockyards, Normal Park, Westchester, and Niles Center. It was once possible to take high-speed trains on the L directly to Aurora, Elgin, and Milwaukee, Wisconsin. The L started out as four different companies, two starting out using steam engines instead of electricity. Eventually, all four came together via the Union Loop. The L is more than a way of getting around. Its trains are a place where people meet and interact. Some say the best way to experience the city is via the L, with its second-story view. Chicago’s Lost “L”s is virtually a “secret history” of Chicago, and this is your ticket. David Sadowski grew up riding the L all over the city. He is the author of Chicago Trolleys and Building Chicago’s Subways and runs the online Trolley Dodger blog.

The Images of America series celebrates the history of neighborhoods, towns, and cities across the country. Using archival photographs, each title presents the distinctive stories from the past that shape the character of the community today. Arcadia is proud to play a part in the preservation of local heritage, making history available to all.

Title Chicago’s Lost “L”s
Images of America
Author David Sadowski
Edition illustrated
Publisher Arcadia Publishing (SC), 2021
ISBN 1467100007, 9781467100007
Length 128 pages

Chapters:
01. The South Side “L”
02. The Lake Street “L”
03. The Metropolitan “L”
04. The Northwestern “L”
05. The Union Loop
06. Lost Equipment
07. Lost Interurbans
08. Lost Terminals
09. Lost… and Found

Each copy purchased here will be signed by the author, and you will also receive a bonus facsimile of a 1926 Chicago Rapid Transit Company map, with interesting facts about the “L” on the reverse side.

The price of $23.99 includes shipping within the United States.

For Shipping to US Addresses:

For Shipping to Canada:

For Shipping Elsewhere:

NEW DVD:

A Tribute to the North Shore Line

To commemorate the 50th anniversary of the demise of the fabled North Shore Line interurban in January 2013, Jeffrey L. Wien and Bradley Criss made a very thorough and professional video presentation, covering the entire route between Chicago and Milwaukee and then some. Sadly, both men are gone now, but their work remains, making this video a tribute to them, as much as it is a tribute to the Chicago North Shore & Milwaukee.

Jeff drew on his own vast collections of movie films, both his own and others such as the late William C. Hoffman, wrote and gave the narration. Bradley acted as video editor, and added authentic sound effects from archival recordings of the North Shore Line.

It was always Jeff’s intention to make this video available to the public, but unfortunately, this did not happen in his lifetime. Now, as the caretakers of Jeff’s railfan legacy, we are proud to offer this excellent two-hour program to you for the first time. The result is a fitting tribute to what Jeff called his “Perpetual Adoration,” which was the name of a stop on the interurban.

Jeff was a wholehearted supporter of our activities, and the proceeds from the sale of this disc will help defray some of the expenses of keeping the Trolley Dodger web site going.

Total time – 121:22

# of Discs – 1
Price: $19.99 (Includes shipping within the United States)

Help Support The Trolley Dodger

This is our 286th post, and we are gradually creating a body of work and an online resource for the benefit of all railfans, everywhere. To date, we have received over 861,000 page views, for which we are very grateful.

You can help us continue our original transit research by checking out the fine products in our Online Store.
As we have said before, “If you buy here, we will be here.”

We thank you for your support.

DONATIONS

In order to continue giving you the kinds of historic railroad images that you have come to expect from The Trolley Dodger, we need your help and support. It costs money to maintain this website, and to do the sort of historic research that is our specialty.

Your financial contributions help make this web site better, and are greatly appreciated.


Work, Work, Work

This remarkable photo, taken circa 1955-57, shows a wooden CTA "L" car on the Stock Yards branch with cattle, and in color to boot. We are looking east from the Exchange station.

This remarkable photo, taken circa 1955-57, shows a wooden CTA “L” car on the Stock Yards branch with cattle, and in color to boot. We are looking east from the Exchange station.

It’s been a month since our last post, but it hasn’t been for lack of effort. Lately, it’s been work, work, work around here. We have been hard at work on our next book, which will be about the North Shore Line, doing research, scanning, and collecting images.

We also have many new photo finds of our own, including 24 snapshots that we purchased as a batch. The photographer is not known, but must have been someone who traveled a lot, as there are pictures from Chicago, the Pittsburgh area, Milwaukee, and one other unidentified city.

The Pittsburgh photos are intriguing, as some of them appear to show the Pittsburgh Railways  interurban to Washington, PA, which ran PCC cars. There are some mysteries about the Milwaukee pictures as well.

Perhaps some of our readers can help identify the locations.

We received another batch of negatives from John V. Engleman, many of which are 60 years old, and have scanned a few dozen of these, mostly from the North Shore Line. Mr. Engleman is an excellent photographer and like the other photos of his we have shared in previous posts, there are many great shots, both black-and-white and color.

According to Mr. Engleman, he rode the North Shore Line twice– first in the summer of 1961, and then on the last full day of service, January 20, 1963. The extreme difference in weather should make it easy to tell which photos are which.

60-year-old color negatives present many challenges when scanning. The film has a base coat which has itself faded, just as the other colors in the image have, and it took a bit longer than usual to color correct these.

Then, there were the inevitable plethora of scratches and spots that had to be painstakingly removed using Photoshop. Working over each one of those images took me at least an hour, and sometimes longer. I could only do a few of these each day.

The color negs were 127 size, which is about four times as large as 35mm. So while early 1960s color negative film was grainy, the larger film size makes up for this to some extent, and the results are quite acceptable.

Mr. Engleman’s black-and-whites were shot on 120 film, which is even larger than 127, and presented no difficulties. We thank him profusely for generously sharing these previously unseen photos with our readers.

If a picture is worth 1000 words, then I say let these pictures speak for themselves. To me, they speak volumes.

Keep those cards and letters coming in, folks.

-David Sadowski

PS- You might also like our Trolley Dodger Facebook auxiliary, a private group that now has 713 members.

Our friend Kenneth Gear now has a Facebook group for the Railroad Record Club. If you enjoy listening to audio recordings of classic railroad trains, whether steam, electric, or diesel, you might consider joining.

Remembering Don Ross

It’s come to my attention that R. Donald Ross passed away on January 18th, aged 90. His career as a railfan photographer and historian began in 1946, and stretched out for more than 75 years. He cast a long shadow.

He started out as an avid photographer, and occasionally I will run across one with his name stamped on the back. But he was also an early, and active volunteer at railway museums, and scouted out possible locations for the Illinois Railway Museum when they had to vacate from the Chicago Hardware Foundry site in North Chicago.

He helped identify the former Elgin and Belvedere interurban right-of-way in Union as a potential site for the museum, where it is today. Other potential sites included the Chicago Aurora & Elgin‘s former Batavia branch, and the current sites of both the Fox River Trolley Museum and East Troy Railroad Museum.

In recent years, he worked hard at developing Don’s Rail Photos, a vast resource for information about hundreds of different railroads. This was not his only web site, as his interests ranged far afield.

I have not found an obituary for Mr. Ross. Nowadays, it doesn’t seem like everyone gets one. I don’t know what sort of provisions he made to continue his web site in the future, but it would be a shame if everything he worked so hard to create eventually disappears.

He will definitely be missed.

-David Sadowski

Our Annual Fundraiser

We are pleased to report we have exceeded our annual fundraising goal, with a total of $1055 received to date. These funds have already been put to good use, paying for our annual hosting fees, WordPress subscriptions, material for our next book, and for this blog.

We are very grateful to everyone who contributed. We could not continue this site without your kind assistance.

We accept donations 365 days a year. If you wish to help, there are links at the top and bottom of this page.

We thank you in advance for your time and consideration.

Photos by John V. Engleman

Silverliners at the Milwaukee terminal. (John V. Engleman Photo)

Silverliners at the Milwaukee terminal. (John V. Engleman Photo)

Silverliners at the Milwaukee terminal. (John V. Engleman Photo)

Silverliners at the Milwaukee terminal. (John V. Engleman Photo)

A great night shot of an Electroliner at Roosevelt Road in Chicago. This was the southern terminus for the North Shore Line for many years, and from 1949 to 1963 the interurban had this CTA station all to themselves. (John V. Engleman Photo)

A great night shot of an Electroliner at Roosevelt Road in Chicago. This was the southern terminus for the North Shore Line for many years, and from 1949 to 1963 the interurban had this CTA station all to themselves. (John V. Engleman Photo)

A rather blurry shot of an Electroliner at Roosevelt Road. (John V. Engleman Photo)

A rather blurry shot of an Electroliner at Roosevelt Road. (John V. Engleman Photo)

This is North Chicago. (John V. Engleman Photo)

This is North Chicago. (John V. Engleman Photo)

This is North Chicago. (John V. Engleman Photo)

This is North Chicago. (John V. Engleman Photo)

This has been identified as North Chicago. (John V. Engleman Photo)

This has been identified as North Chicago. (John V. Engleman Photo)

A stately Electroliner on a snowy day in Milwaukee. (John V. Engleman Photo)

A stately Electroliner on a snowy day in Milwaukee. (John V. Engleman Photo)

Roosevelt Road with car 255 in the pocket. (John V. Engleman Photo)

Roosevelt Road with car 255 in the pocket. (John V. Engleman Photo)

CTA trolley bus 9648 heads west, as seen from the Belmont "L" station. (John V. Engleman Photo)

CTA trolley bus 9648 heads west, as seen from the Belmont “L” station. (John V. Engleman Photo)

A great shot of an Electroliner at Roosevelt Road on a winter's day. (John V. Engleman Photo)

A great shot of an Electroliner at Roosevelt Road on a winter’s day. (John V. Engleman Photo)

Roosevelt Road. (John V. Engleman Photo)

Roosevelt Road. (John V. Engleman Photo)

The Milwaukee Terminal. (John V. Engleman Photo)

The Milwaukee Terminal. (John V. Engleman Photo)

The Milwaukee Terminal. (John V. Engleman Photo)

The Milwaukee Terminal. (John V. Engleman Photo)

Although this image was spoiled by a double exposure, it is still a nice view of the Milwaukee Terminal in winter. (John V. Engleman Photo)

Although this image was spoiled by a double exposure, it is still a nice view of the Milwaukee Terminal in winter. (John V. Engleman Photo)

An Electroliner at the Milwaukee Terminal. (John V. Engleman Photo)

An Electroliner at the Milwaukee Terminal. (John V. Engleman Photo)

Here. we are looking north from the Belmont "L" station, and the platform at left was used only by southbound North Shore trains. As Graham Garfield's www.chicago-l.org website notes, "Beginning in 1919, North Shore Line interurban trains reached downtown Chicago over the North Side "L". Although the "L" and interurban services were separate and had different fares without free transfers, they shared a number of stops -- Belmont being one common stop -- with little effort to separate passengers. This was in large part because the North Shore Line and the "L" were both owned by common interests, led by Samuel Insull. This ended in 1947 when the CTA assumed ownership and operation of the "L", and thereafter the Authority was disinclined to allow free transfer of North Shore Line riders to the "L". Thus, from 1953 until the end of North Shore Line service in 1963, Belmont actually had three platforms: there was an additional very narrow North Shore Line exit-only platform built along the west side of the "L" structure, extending from the south side of Belmont Avenue to a point somewhat north of the ends of the center platforms. (Traffic-separation arrangements were also adopted at Howard and Wilson, but never at the other stations used by inbound North Shore trains.) Passengers could disembark on this platform only, and were deposited onto the sidewalk on Belmont. If they wanted to transfer to the "L", they had to reenter the station and pay another fare. Northbound North Shore Line trains continued to share the island platform used by "L" customers, although there was probably more boarding of the interurban northbound than alighting, and the North Shore Line had personnel aboard their trains to collect fares at all times." (John V. Engleman Photo)

Here. we are looking north from the Belmont “L” station, and the platform at left was used only by southbound North Shore trains.
As Graham Garfield’s http://www.chicago-l.org website notes, “Beginning in 1919, North Shore Line interurban trains reached downtown Chicago over the North Side “L”. Although the “L” and interurban services were separate and had different fares without free transfers, they shared a number of stops — Belmont being one common stop — with little effort to separate passengers. This was in large part because the North Shore Line and the “L” were both owned by common interests, led by Samuel Insull. This ended in 1947 when the CTA assumed ownership and operation of the “L”, and thereafter the Authority was disinclined to allow free transfer of North Shore Line riders to the “L”. Thus, from 1953 until the end of North Shore Line service in 1963, Belmont actually had three platforms: there was an additional very narrow North Shore Line exit-only platform built along the west side of the “L” structure, extending from the south side of Belmont Avenue to a point somewhat north of the ends of the center platforms. (Traffic-separation arrangements were also adopted at Howard and Wilson, but never at the other stations used by inbound North Shore trains.) Passengers could disembark on this platform only, and were deposited onto the sidewalk on Belmont. If they wanted to transfer to the “L”, they had to reenter the station and pay another fare. Northbound North Shore Line trains continued to share the island platform used by “L” customers, although there was probably more boarding of the interurban northbound than alighting, and the North Shore Line had personnel aboard their trains to collect fares at all times.” (John V. Engleman Photo)

NSL 771 and train are heading east at LaSalle and Van Buren on the Loop "L", making this a southbound train in the morning. (John V. Engleman Photo)

NSL 771 and train are heading east at LaSalle and Van Buren on the Loop “L”, making this a southbound train in the morning. (John V. Engleman Photo)

A Silverliner at the head of a train. Not sure of the location. (John V. Engleman Photo) Zach E. says this is 769 at Lake Bluff.

A Silverliner at the head of a train. Not sure of the location. (John V. Engleman Photo) Zach E. says this is 769 at Lake Bluff.

The Mundelein Terminal. (John V. Engleman Photo)

The Mundelein Terminal. (John V. Engleman Photo)

NSL 743 is northbound on the 6th Street Viaduct. (John V. Engleman Photo)

NSL 743 is northbound on the 6th Street Viaduct. (John V. Engleman Photo)

North Shore Line Silverliners at the Milwaukee Terminal. (John V. Engleman Photo)

North Shore Line Silverliners at the Milwaukee Terminal. (John V. Engleman Photo)

A southbound Silverliner at Belmont. (John V. Engleman Photo)

A southbound Silverliner at Belmont. (John V. Engleman Photo)

An Electroliner has arrived and its trolley pole hasn't yet been turned around. (John V. Engleman Photo)

An Electroliner has arrived and its trolley pole hasn’t yet been turned around. (John V. Engleman Photo)

Such a classic view of the Milwaukee Terminal. (John V. Engleman Photo)

Such a classic view of the Milwaukee Terminal.
(John V. Engleman Photo)

An Electroliner at the Milwaukee Terminal. (John V. Engleman Photo)

An Electroliner at the Milwaukee Terminal. (John V. Engleman Photo)

The Milwaukee Terminal. This picture, at least, could have been taken in 1962, judging by the nearby billboard. (John V. Engleman Photo)

The Milwaukee Terminal. This picture, at least, could have been taken in 1962, judging by the nearby billboard. (John V. Engleman Photo)

Red Pullman 460 at South Shops, as part of the CTA historical collection, possibly after the end of streetcar service, which ended in 1958. (John V. Engleman Photo)

Red Pullman 460 at South Shops, as part of the CTA historical collection, possibly after the end of streetcar service, which ended in 1958. (John V. Engleman Photo)

Prewar PCC 4021 and red Pullman 460 were part of the CTA's historical collection when this picture was taken at South Shops, possibly around 1959. Both cars are now at the Illinois Railway Museum. (John V. Engleman Photo)

Prewar PCC 4021 and red Pullman 460 were part of the CTA’s historical collection when this picture was taken at South Shops, possibly around 1959. Both cars are now at the Illinois Railway Museum. (John V. Engleman Photo)

This was scanned from a copy negative of an Electroliner in action. (John V. Engleman Collection)

This was scanned from a copy negative of an Electroliner in action. (John V. Engleman Collection)

The CTA Skokie Swift opened in April 1964, and it's possible this picture was taken not long after that at Dempster Street in Skokie. (John V. Engleman Photo) Spence Ziegler adds, "The Skokie Swift Car at Dempster St was taken after June, 1965 as the former North Shore Line catenary towers north of Dempster St. are gone."

The CTA Skokie Swift opened in April 1964, and it’s possible this picture was taken not long after that at Dempster Street in Skokie. (John V. Engleman Photo) Spence Ziegler adds, “The Skokie Swift Car at Dempster St was taken after June, 1965 as the former North Shore Line catenary towers north of Dempster St. are gone.”

It's not entirely clear just when this picture was taken at DesPlaines Avenue on the Congress line, but my guess is 1960-61. There are some CTA single-car units visible, and the first of these were delivered in 1960. But in this and the other shot, I don't see the shops building, which was completed in 1962. We are looking west, with the old Forest Park gas holder in the distance. (John V. Engleman Photo)

It’s not entirely clear just when this picture was taken at DesPlaines Avenue on the Congress line, but my guess is 1960-61. There are some CTA single-car units visible, and the first of these were delivered in 1960. But in this and the other shot, I don’t see the shops building, which was completed in 1962. We are looking west, with the old Forest Park gas holder in the distance. (John V. Engleman Photo)

The yard at the DesPlaines Avenue terminal, circa 1960-61. (John V. Engleman Photo)

The yard at the DesPlaines Avenue terminal, circa 1960-61. (John V. Engleman Photo)

CTA 5002 at Kimball in Lawrence, most likely in June 1962 (based on the platform signage). (John V. Engleman Photo)

CTA 5002 at Kimball in Lawrence, most likely in June 1962 (based on the platform signage). (John V. Engleman Photo)

CSL PCC 4050 is at Madison and Austin, and appears to have some front-end damage. The motorman does not look too happy about having his picture taken. (John V. Engleman Collection)

CSL PCC 4050 is at Madison and Austin, and appears to have some front-end damage. The motorman does not look too happy about having his picture taken. (John V. Engleman Collection)

CTA PCC 4110 exits the Washington streetcar tunnel in the early 1950s, with a Chicago Motor Coach bus at left. We are looking west. (John V. Engleman Collection)

CTA PCC 4110 exits the Washington streetcar tunnel in the early 1950s, with a Chicago Motor Coach bus at left. We are looking west. (John V. Engleman Collection)

The same location today. Note the building on the left matches.

The same location today. Note the building on the left matches.

Recent Finds

This is a North Shore Line city streetcar in Milwaukee. The caption that came with this one said, "Last day run past North Shore depot." If so, this would be 1951.

This is a North Shore Line city streetcar in Milwaukee. The caption that came with this one said, “Last day run past North Shore depot.” If so, this would be 1951.

CTA wooden "L" cars 390 and 280 make a fantrip photo stop at Austin Boulevard on the Garfield Park line on April 14, 1957. This was a temporary station due to ongoing construction of the Congress Expressway in this area.

CTA wooden “L” cars 390 and 280 make a fantrip photo stop at Austin Boulevard on the Garfield Park line on April 14, 1957. This was a temporary station due to ongoing construction of the Congress Expressway in this area.

North Shore Line car 154 survived the abandonment, only to succumb to the ravages of neglect many years later. Here, we see it in Anderson, IN on July 16, 1965, where it was pulled around by a locomotive. It eventually went to a museum in Worthington, OH where it was allowed to deteriorate. Considered in too bad shape to restore, it was purchased by another museum in Michigan, stripped of usable parts for the restoration of a different (non-NSL) car in their collection, and its carcass was unceremoniously dumped in a field, where it is now offered to anyone in need of a spare room or chicken coop.

North Shore Line car 154 survived the abandonment, only to succumb to the ravages of neglect many years later. Here, we see it in Anderson, IN on July 16, 1965, where it was pulled around by a locomotive. It eventually went to a museum in Worthington, OH where it was allowed to deteriorate. Considered in too bad shape to restore, it was purchased by another museum in Michigan, stripped of usable parts for the restoration of a different (non-NSL) car in their collection, and its carcass was unceremoniously dumped in a field, where it is now offered to anyone in need of a spare room or chicken coop.

From 1922 to 1938, North Shore Line cars ran to the south side. Here, we see a fantrip train, headed up by Silverliner 409, at 61st Street on one of those latter-day fantrips prior to the 1963 abandonment.

From 1922 to 1938, North Shore Line cars ran to the south side. Here, we see a fantrip train, headed up by Silverliner 409, at 61st Street on one of those latter-day fantrips prior to the 1963 abandonment.

CTA red Pullman streetcar 208 appears to be signed for Route 9 - Ashland, which would make this a car headed east between Paulina and Ashland, where it will turn north. Streetcars were not permitted on boulevards, which meant they could not travel on Ashland between Lake Street and Roosevelt Road. Buses replaced streetcars on the Ashland and Lake routes in 1954. (William C. Hoffman Photo)

CTA red Pullman streetcar 208 appears to be signed for Route 9 – Ashland, which would make this a car headed east between Paulina and Ashland, where it will turn north. Streetcars were not permitted on boulevards, which meant they could not travel on Ashland between Lake Street and Roosevelt Road. Buses replaced streetcars on the Ashland and Lake routes in 1954. (William C. Hoffman Photo)

CTA PCC 7240, signed for 77th and Vincennes (South Shops). (William C. Hoffman Photo) Mike Franklin: "Car 7240 is e/b on 69th St at Morgan St." Our resident South Side expert M.E. adds: "This photo needs further explanation. For many years, the 69th and Ashland barn housed Western Avenue PCC cars. After that barn closed in the early 1950s, the only remaining carbarn for PCC cars on the south side was at 77th and Vincennes. The CTA left the trackage alive on 69th St. between Western and Wentworth for the sole purpose of moving Western Avenue PCCs back and forth. (Trackage along Wentworth and Vincennes was still in use by route 22.) The car in this photo is heading home to the 77th and Vincennes barn."

CTA PCC 7240, signed for 77th and Vincennes (South Shops). (William C. Hoffman Photo) Mike Franklin: “Car 7240 is e/b on 69th St at Morgan St.” Our resident South Side expert M.E. adds: “This photo needs further explanation. For many years, the 69th and Ashland barn housed Western Avenue PCC cars. After that barn closed in the early 1950s, the only remaining carbarn for PCC cars on the south side was at 77th and Vincennes. The CTA left the trackage alive on 69th St. between Western and Wentworth for the sole purpose of moving Western Avenue PCCs back and forth. (Trackage along Wentworth and Vincennes was still in use by route 22.) The car in this photo is heading home to the 77th and Vincennes barn.”

CTA PCC 7180 is northbound on Dearborn at Congress in the mid-1950s.

CTA PCC 7180 is northbound on Dearborn at Congress in the mid-1950s.

The Garfield Park "L" temporary trackage at street level in Van Bure Street at Damen Avenue, some time around 1954 as the Congress Expressway is still under construction nearby (but the old "L" structure has already been removed).

The Garfield Park “L” temporary trackage at street level in Van Bure Street at Damen Avenue, some time around 1954 as the Congress Expressway is still under construction nearby (but the old “L” structure has already been removed).

The same location. A Buick heads south on Damen while an eastbound Garfield Park train waits for the lights to change before crossing.

The same location. A Buick heads south on Damen while an eastbound Garfield Park train waits for the lights to change before crossing.

North Shore Line 742 and a Silverliner at the Milwaukee Terminal in the early-to-mid 1950s.

North Shore Line 742 and a Silverliner at the Milwaukee Terminal in the early-to-mid 1950s.

This CTA preliminary study, circa 1954-55, shows plans for the Congress-Douglas-Milwaukee route that went into service in 1958. Planning for the section west of Cicero was somewhat tentative and differed from what was eventually built. At this stage, Laramie Yard was to be retained, and connected to the Congress line via a flyover. Eventually, it was decided to move the yard to DesPlaines Avenue, but at the time the land was not owned by the CTA. A platform area on the map at Laramie was not a station, but intended for use adding and cutting cars. The Austin-Menard station would have been located east of Austin Boulevard. Instead, it was built west of there, with a secondary entrance at Lombard. Once it was decided to add a secondary entrance to the Oak Park Avenue station at East Avenue, it was no longer necessary to have a new station at Ridgeland (as a replacement for Gunderson, which was located on a side street). During construction of the Congress Expressway in Oak Park and Forest Park, there were eventually three different temporary track configurations used.

This CTA preliminary study, circa 1954-55, shows plans for the Congress-Douglas-Milwaukee route that went into service in 1958. Planning for the section west of Cicero was somewhat tentative and differed from what was eventually built. At this stage, Laramie Yard was to be retained, and connected to the Congress line via a flyover. Eventually, it was decided to move the yard to DesPlaines Avenue, but at the time the land was not owned by the CTA. A platform area on the map at Laramie was not a station, but intended for use adding and cutting cars. The Austin-Menard station would have been located east of Austin Boulevard. Instead, it was built west of there, with a secondary entrance at Lombard. Once it was decided to add a secondary entrance to the Oak Park Avenue station at East Avenue, it was no longer necessary to have a new station at Ridgeland (as a replacement for Gunderson, which was located on a side street). During construction of the Congress Expressway in Oak Park and Forest Park, there were eventually three different temporary track configurations used.

A northbound NSL two-car train stops at Dempster Street in Skokie on March 26, 1960.

A northbound NSL two-car train stops at Dempster Street in Skokie on March 26, 1960.

North Shore Line conventional cars and an Electroliner meet at Edison Court in Waukegan on August 31, 1957. (Stephen D. Maguire Photo)

North Shore Line conventional cars and an Electroliner meet at Edison Court in Waukegan on August 31, 1957. (Stephen D. Maguire Photo)

On June 19, 1953, a three-car Chicago Auror and Elgin train approaches the Halsted "L" station in the four-track Met main line. We are looking to the northeast. The cars are 52, 317, and 304. (Robert Selle Photo)

On June 19, 1953, a three-car Chicago Auror and Elgin train approaches the Halsted “L” station in the four-track Met main line. We are looking to the northeast. The cars are 52, 317, and 304. (Robert Selle Photo)

Chicago Aurora and Elgin wood car 139 at Wheaton Yards on May 30, 1952. Don's Rail Photos: "138 thru 141 were built by American Car in 1910. They were rebuilt for Elevated compatibility in 1919. They were also leased to the CA&E in 1936, returned to the CNS&M in 1945, and sold to the CA&E in 1946." Once the CA&E stopped running downtown via CTA tracks in September 1953, the former North Shore cars were no longer needed and were scrapped the following year. (Robert Selle Photo)

Chicago Aurora and Elgin wood car 139 at Wheaton Yards on May 30, 1952. Don’s Rail Photos: “138 thru 141 were built by American Car in 1910. They were rebuilt for Elevated compatibility in 1919. They were also leased to the CA&E in 1936, returned to the CNS&M in 1945, and sold to the CA&E in 1946.” Once the CA&E stopped running downtown via CTA tracks in September 1953, the former North Shore cars were no longer needed and were scrapped the following year. (Robert Selle Photo)

CA&E car 129 at the Wheaton Yards on May 30, 1952. Don's Rail Photos: "129 was built by Jewett Car in 1907. It was rebuilt in 1914 and leased to Chicago Aurora & Elgin and modified in 1936. It was returned to CNS&M in 1945 and sold to CA&E in 1946. It was scrapped in 1951." (Note- the scrapping date is in error.) (Robert Selle Photo)

CA&E car 129 at the Wheaton Yards on May 30, 1952. Don’s Rail Photos: “129 was built by Jewett Car in 1907. It was rebuilt in 1914 and leased to Chicago Aurora & Elgin and modified in 1936. It was returned to CNS&M in 1945 and sold to CA&E in 1946. It was scrapped in 1951.” (Note- the scrapping date is in error.) (Robert Selle Photo)

CA&E wood car 318 is outbound on the Batavia branch on July 14, 1954, about one block from the Batavia station, on its way to Batavia Junction. Parts of the Batavia branch were somewhat similar to the main line at the Illinois Railway Museum, which you can see in this photo by Robert Selle. As with the rest of the CA&E, passenger service continued until the abrupt mid-day abandonment on July 3, 1957.

CA&E wood car 318 is outbound on the Batavia branch on July 14, 1954, about one block from the Batavia station, on its way to Batavia Junction. Parts of the Batavia branch were somewhat similar to the main line at the Illinois Railway Museum, which you can see in this photo by Robert Selle. As with the rest of the CA&E, passenger service continued until the abrupt mid-day abandonment on July 3, 1957.

CA&E cars 406 and 456 meet to pick up and discharge passengers at the Cicero Avenue station on the Garfield Park "L" on August 22, 1953, just less than a month before the interurban cut back service to Forest Park. (Robert Selle Photo)

CA&E cars 406 and 456 meet to pick up and discharge passengers at the Cicero Avenue station on the Garfield Park “L” on August 22, 1953, just less than a month before the interurban cut back service to Forest Park. (Robert Selle Photo)

CA&E car 418 is east of Laramie Avenue on the Garfield Park "L" on February 15, 1953, giving an unusual view of the ramp leading from ground level to the Cicero Avenue station. The middle part of the negative was partially light struck, which could happen with paper-backed roll film. Photographer Robert Selle shot size 616 Kodak Verichrome Pan film. 616 used the same film as 116, resulting in a large negative, but used slightly different spools. Both types were discontinued in 1984, as no cameras had been manufactured using these sizes in decades. Verichrome was designed to give maximum exposure latitude, as it was often used in box cameras that had only one shutter speed. It was discontinued in 2002.

CA&E car 418 is east of Laramie Avenue on the Garfield Park “L” on February 15, 1953, giving an unusual view of the ramp leading from ground level to the Cicero Avenue station. The middle part of the negative was partially light struck, which could happen with paper-backed roll film. Photographer Robert Selle shot size 616 Kodak Verichrome Pan film. 616 used the same film as 116, resulting in a large negative, but used slightly different spools. Both types were discontinued in 1984, as no cameras had been manufactured using these sizes in decades. Verichrome was designed to give maximum exposure latitude, as it was often used in box cameras that had only one shutter speed. It was discontinued in 2002.

Chicago Surface Lines one-man car 3100. Mike Franklin: "This would be looking north on Leavitt St from just south of Coulter St. Small building above Car 3100 is Chicago Railways Blue Island Ave Sub Station and the larger building further north is their 24th St Car Station."

Chicago Surface Lines one-man car 3100. Mike Franklin: “This would be looking north on Leavitt St from just south of Coulter St. Small building above Car 3100 is Chicago Railways Blue Island Ave Sub Station and the larger building further north is their 24th St Car Station.”

A Silverliner departs from the North Shore Line's Milwaukee Terminal, probably in the late 1950s. I can't quite make out the number, but it is in the 770s.

A Silverliner departs from the North Shore Line’s Milwaukee Terminal, probably in the late 1950s. I can’t quite make out the number, but it is in the 770s.